In the event you haven’t heard in regards to the magic of San Cristobal–recognized colloquially as “San Cris”–I’m right here to let you know that this small metropolis in Chiapas, Mexico is about to make its approach to the highest of your journey bucket checklist.
Situated within the mountainous area of southern Mexico, San Cris is a pueblo mágico, or “magic city.” It’s considered one of many nation’s dearest locations and has a particular appeal to it.
Because the Eighties this small metropolis has attracted an entire host of artistic and religious vacationers, Mexican and overseas alike, making it a hub for counterculture and a sure mysticism that’s obvious as quickly as you step foot within the metropolis heart. It was additionally the location of the traditionally vital 1994 Zapatista rebellion, of which the rebellious ripple continues to be felt at present.
The place to remain
There are such a lot of nice choices for locations to remain in San Cris, ranging out of your typical backpackers hostel to extra upscale motels which are surprisingly inexpensive.
I like to recommend staying within the metropolis heart if you happen to’re new to San Cristobal, as town could be very walkable and you may get round simply. There are many Airbnbs situated on the outskirts of city in neighborhoods reminiscent of San Nicolas and La Quinta as properly, in case you need to get away from the bustle. Listed below are a few of my picks for the middle of city:
- La Isla Hostel: This yogi epicenter is a superb place to be social and have extra of a communal keep if that’s what you’re on the lookout for. They host yoga lessons and cacao ceremonies on their terrace and have excursions accessible to points of interest close by, too.
- Sombra Del Agua: Fashionable and stylish, Sombra del Agua has a surprising backyard courtyard and a calming spa-like vibe. It’s an amazing place to remain whenever you first get into city as a result of it’s situated proper within the heart of city.
- Airbnb: Attempt your luck at discovering a spot on Airbnb, because the choices are plentiful. This cute keep has the eclectic and colourful type that the world is understood for. It’s cozy, centrally situated, and is good for stepping into the spirit of town.
What to do
In the event you’re on the lookout for a spot to attach with nature, your spirituality, or the native tradition, San Cristobal is unquestionably the place for you. With a number of ecoparks only a fast drive away and an entire host of yoga and meditation areas, San Cris is a hub for artists, lecturers, outside lovers, and healers alike.
Get outdoors and discover
- Parque El Encuentro: This ecopark is good spot to spend a day climbing, picnicking, or collaborating in one in all their permaculture workshops. Additionally they have neighborhood yoga lessons a couple of days every week!
- El Arcotete: Situated only a 10-minute drive (you possibly can take a taxi there for simply 50 pesos) from town heart, this park is the proper place to spend the day. There’s a system of caves to discover and acres of forest to hike. It’s additionally my private favourite place to go mountaineering!
- Grutas del Mamut: These caves are an amazing place to spend the day in nature. You may get there by taxi in a couple of minutes and the doorway payment is simply 10 pesos ($0.50 USD).
- Reserva Huitepec: Guests can get acquainted with the 300+ species of crops native to the world, because the reserve specializes of their preservation. Not solely is it an amazing place to be taught extra in regards to the native flora, it’s additionally prime for chicken watching and mountain biking.
Study a brand new craft
I do know what you’re pondering. “Why would I’m going on trip to be taught a brand new craft?!” Hear me out. With so many artistic individuals milling about and seeking to share their skills, San Cris is an superior place to strive one thing new. Take a category or a workshop and see if you happen to’re into it. Who is aware of? Possibly you’ll return house with a brand new set of expertise.
- Yoga: There are lots of locations to apply yoga right here, however I like to recommend Ananda. Right here you could find yoga lecturers who’re centered in yoga’s core components as a substitute of the workout-motivated yoga that you just usually discover stateside. Additionally they host meditation workshops and instructor trainings!
- Meditation and Spirituality: I contemplate meditation to be a craft and an intentional apply. San Cris is a superb place to “go deeper”, so to talk. Contemplate a 3-day silent retreat at Hridaya Household Meditation & Yoga Middle or strive a sound bathtub meditation.
- Dance: There are lots of alternatives to strive new dance types or apply one you already know. Latino’s has salsa and bachata nights and Centro Cultural Wapaní usually hosts Afro-Caribbean and folkloric dance lessons.
- Permaculture: San Cris is a sustainability haven full of individuals–overseas and Mexican–who’re discovering alternate options to the unsustainable establishment. Learn to develop mushrooms at house, assemble a raised backyard mattress, or up your compost sport with a workshop at Wapaní, Casa Cultural, or Arcana Café. Simply maintain a watch out for flyers round city.
- Ceramics: This area of Mexico is understood for its stunning ceramics and there are many individuals round city who educate lessons on make them. Casa La Venta specifically has an amazing ceramics course the place you can also make your individual clay creation on or off the wheel.
- Rock Climbing: Due to Vertigo Climbing amongst others, there are a ton of alternatives for inexperienced persons to discover ways to climb and for extra superior climbers to get out and take a look at new routes. You possibly can e book a climbing course with Vertigo or just hop of their van to get out into the mountains for the day to climb.
Immerse your self within the tradition
So much has modified in Mexico as an entire since Spanish colonization. Whereas that point interval left behind stunning structure and an entire new blended tradition, it additionally had a heavy hand in trying to erase the traditions of the indigenous individuals.
Over time most of the native traditions and languages have disappeared, however what stays continues to be one thing to marvel at. Fantastically coloured textiles, rigorously crafted ceramics, sustainably sourced honey and cacao, and so many extra items may be loved within the villages surrounding San Cris.
- Museo del Ámbar: This museum is inside a Sixteenth-century convent and homes some unbelievable ambar artifacts. Discover out extra in regards to the artistry of ambar and see what creatures have been preserved within the translucent yellow materials.
- Temazcal Ceremony: These ceremonies have been tailored from historical Mayan practices which are nonetheless prevalent all through southern Mexico at present. Assume sweat lodge with intense drum music and incense. The ritual is supposed to have therapeutic properties. Preserve a watch out for indicators promoting the ceremonies, however be sure a Maya shaman is the facilitator.
- Na Bolom Cultural Museum: This nonprofit museum has a little bit of all the pieces and gives nice perception into the native tradition. I like to recommend stopping in for a meal or a espresso at their café because the proceeds go to a local people undertaking. In the event you get the possibility, ask in regards to the work they’re doing, too!
- Kinoki: Usually internet hosting screenings of native documentaries, it is a good spot to cease in and get acquainted with the varied methods persons are at present documenting the experiences of native individuals in Chiapas. I went there to see the documentary in regards to the Zapatistas referred to as “Corazon del Tiempo” and it was an superior approach to get extra perception into the tradition.
The place to eat
Chiapaneco meals is a few of the most underrated in Mexico, in my humble opinion. One thing I like about San Cristobal is how a lot the native individuals have preserved their agricultural practices and subsequently, their gastronomy.
- Tortillería Bats’i Waj: Whereas not a restaurant, that is my favourite place to get recent tortillas. Why? As a result of they’re working onerous to protect quite a lot of species of corn and subsequently have a ton of various forms of scrumptious tortillas to select from.
- Taniperla: Throughout town, you’ll discover collectives like this one which are providing native delicacies with a extra neighborhood strategy to their enterprise. Taniperla has a few of the greatest chiapaneco meals which makes use of indigenous recipes and practices to arrange it. Don’t, I repeat, do NOT depart San Cris with out making an attempt their chocolate con leche.
- Carajillo: Named after a scrumptious Mexican digestivo drink that mixes candy liquor with espresso, this the best possible place on the town to get a cup of espresso. It’s no secret that Chiapas is understood for its espresso, and at Carajillo you may get the freshest beans, roasted and floor in-house and brewed into a pleasant drink.
- Bek, Semilla de Vida: This one is for the vegans on the market who need to strive native meals with out the animal merchandise. You’re in luck! San Cris is a superb vacation spot for vegans and vegetarians as a result of there are a ton of scrumptious eating places like Bek that serve up native flavors vegan-style.
- Avenue Meals: Alongside the strolling streets, you could find quite a lot of yummy snacks. I like to recommend making an attempt a marquesita with Nutella and queso de bola for a a sweety and salty deal with. Avenue tacos are plentiful and usually fairly good, so maintain a watch out for the place the most important line is. That’s how you recognize which taco vendor is the most effective!
Day journeys you possibly can’t miss
Simply inside the metropolis limits, there’s a ton to do in San Cris. Nonetheless, getting out to some completely different locations is a incredible approach to be taught in regards to the indigenous cultures of the area, benefit from the outside, and actually soak in all the pieces Chiapas has to supply.
- San Juan Chamula: You’ll hear about this place time and time once more as quickly as you get to Chiapas. Well-known for its iconic church the place locals apply Mayan rituals inside, this historic city has been a hub for home and worldwide tourism for many years. It’s the principle supply of manufacturing of an area liquor referred to as pox and an entire host of handicrafts.
- El Chiflón: This can be a waterfall situated just some hours outdoors of San Cris and completely well worth the journey to get there. You possibly can prepare a tour with nearly any huge resort on the town or at a journey company to get there, or you possibly can go by yourself in case you have rented a car.
- Cañon del Sumidero: This spectacular canyon is a must-see right here in Chiapas. Take a ship alongside the river and also you may even see some crocodiles and different wildlife!
- Lagos de Montebello: Excessive up within the mountains lie the Montebello lagoons; a picturesque community of crystal clear ponds that stretch all the best way to the Guatemala border. You possibly can take a lancha, or conventional Maya picket boat, out to one of many small islands on the lagoon. From there, take a swim or just admire the great thing about the water and the mountains.
- Boca del Cielo: This tranquil seaside vacation spot is a far cry from the mega-tourism of locations like Tulum and Playa del Carmen. The perfect a part of this place is that there’s a mangrove lagoon on one facet of the island and the seaside is on the opposite facet. I stayed at Entremares in one in all their cabañas and it was the proper weekend getaway.
It’s deeply essential to bear in mind a couple of issues earlier than travelling to San Cristobal, or actually anyplace in Mexico for that matter. As vacationers, we stock the accountability to journey with the dignity of native individuals in thoughts and I do consider that we are able to accomplish that. Right here’s a pair issues to consider:
- Tour guides: When visiting Mayan ruins, indigenous villages, or bigger vacationer points of interest like San Juan Chamula, it’s nice to go together with a information who can provide a extra in-depth description of all the pieces you might be seeing. I’ve come to understand that right here in Mexico, loads of assumptions can get out of hand if there isn’t a chosen particular person there to squash rumors and reply questions.
- Youngsters promoting on the road: Right here in Chiapas and in lots of different locations in Mexico, it’s fairly frequent to see kids promoting various things on the road or asking guests for cash. There’s a sophisticated story round why this occurs. Till we are able to really get the complete image of the influence of it, I consider it’s best to not purchase from or give cash to those kids. Each particular person makes that call for themselves, however I like to recommend studying up on it earlier than going.
- Depart No Hint: This can be a extra frequent apply within the outdoorsy journey sphere, however in any case I need to point out it right here. Past merely not leaving any trash behind, I additionally advocate supporting the native financial system by shopping for from native distributors and taking public transportation when potential.
Tips on how to get there
The best approach to get to San Cris is to fly into the closest airport in Tuxtla de Gutierrez, which is about an hour away. From there, you possibly can catch a taxi for about $40 USD or a colectivo or minibus for a fraction of the worth, relying on how a lot you might be bringing with you.
If you’re backpacking, I counsel going for the colectivo, as it’s cheaper and simply as protected and handy as a taxi. When you get into city, the colectivo will drop you off only a brief stroll away from town heart and you’ll take a fast taxi to your vacation spot for simply $40 pesos (about $2 USD).
San Cristóbal has had a particular place in my coronary heart since I first visited in 2017. Being such a hub for artistic individuals, it looks like a house away from house. Whether or not you resolve to make San Cris your subsequent trip vacation spot otherwise you resolve to remain some time, it’s positive to go away you feeling a bit extra grounded and possibly extra related to nature, Mexican tradition, and people round you. In spite of everything, it’s the proper place to be taught and maybe even develop within the course of.