The American South is dwelling to among the most various landscapes and even among the most various populations that the USA has to supply, making it a unbelievable place to take a street journey. Whether or not you’re in search of a fast weekend journey or an extended, extra elaborate one, we’ve acquired you coated with these superior routes:
8. Houston, TX to New Orleans, LA
This epic street journey will be began in both of those iconic southern cities and takes you thru part of the deep south that’s wealthy in historical past and tradition. That is definitely a visit for these of you who’ve a bit extra time in your fingers, because it’s longer in distance and covers many cities that you could be wish to spend extra time in:
- Houston, TX: Go to the House Middle and get your fill of the wonderous scientific world of NASA. Take a stroll on the Kemah Boardwalk the place you may absorb Galveston Bay and even get some native eats equivalent to gumbo, recent oysters, or hush puppies.
- Golden Triangle, TX: Comprised of Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange, this vibrant space is dwelling to the Museum of the Gulf Coast and the Artwork Museum of South Texas. Make a fast cease or keep some time, as the realm is understood for its scrumptious seafood.
- Lafayette, LA: This southern metropolis is understood for its historic villages, Vermilionville and Acadian Village, that are the very best locations to soak up the tradition via stay music, dance, and native handicrafts.
- Baton Rouge, LA: Don’t miss the Louisiana Artwork & Science Museum and Baton Rouge Zoo as you make your approach via this vibrant metropolis. Close by you will discover the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge which works over the enduring Louisiana swamp land.
- New Orleans, LA: It goes with out saying that Nola is on most of our bucket lists, and for good motive. Recognized for its vibrant music scene and spectacular gastronomy, get immersed within the tradition by strolling alongside Royal Road or taking a free strolling Voodoo tour.
7. Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA
One other longer journey on this listing, this one will take you from the Tennessee hills all the best way to the deep south. Get able to see the panorama change as you embark in your journey:
- Nashville, TN: This musical metropolis is stuffed with stellar eating places, bars, and museums alike. Try the unique venue of the Grand Ole Opry on the Ryman Auditorium and ensure to not miss the Nation Music Corridor of Fame and Museum.
- Chattanooga, TN: Definitely underrated, this charming metropolis is a good place to get your fill of the outside. Catch a sundown at The Pedestrian Bridge or take a hike to Foster Falls at South Cumberland State Park.
- Franklin, TN: Referred to as Tennessee’s greatest saved secret, this quaint metropolis is understood for its southern appeal and stylish ambiance. It has fairly a number of Civil Battle websites and even a pair whiskey distilleries which can be definitely value stopping at.
- Birmingham, AL: A go to to Birmingham, regardless of how lengthy or quick, wouldn’t be full with no go to to the Civil Rights District. There you will discover the Civil Rights Institute, which has a wealth of displays and initiatives to discover. Town can be well-known for its BBQ, particularly at locations like Dreamland and Noticed’s.
- Montgomery, AL: Additionally alongside the Civil Rights Path, this metropolis is a good cease for historical past buffs. The Legacy Museum is understood to be probably the most vital and influential locations within the metropolis.
- Atlanta, GA: Atlanta is a cultural hub of the south and undoubtedly value spending time in. Go to the Middle for Civil and Human Rights or take a tour within the King Historic District for a fascinating have a look at town’s wealthy historical past.
6. Charlotte, NC to Jacksonville, FL
The drive from Charlotte to Jacksonville is about 6 hours nonstop, however will be stretched out so long as you might have the time for. These stops alongside the best way spotlight among the greatest locations within the south:
- Charlotte, NC: The listing of issues to do on this energetic cities is sort of lengthy, making it an ideal place to begin a visit. Don’t miss the Billy Graham Library and the Mint Museum, that are each distinctive to Charlotte.
- Columbia, SC: In your approach south, cease in Columbia and do some purchasing on the Soda Metropolis Market earlier than heading to close by Congaree Nationwide Park for a scenic hike.
- Charleston, SC: One other southern bucket-list metropolis, Charleston is charming and brimming with historic landmarks, inexperienced areas, and nice meals. Take a home tour at Middleton Place or discover the Magnolia Plantation & Gardens to get a really feel for town’s structure and historical past.
- Savannah, GA: Savannah is a southern icon, and for good motive. Discover town on foot and benefit from the charming structure. For extra concepts on the place to go and what to do, try our Savannah Information!
- Jacksonville, FL: As you make your approach additional south alongside the coast, contemplate stopping at St. Simons Island or Fernandina Seaside earlier than making it to Jacksonville. Absorb the fantastic thing about the seaside at Little Talbot State Park or Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park.
Jacksonville’s chill seaside ambiance is the proper method to deliver this street journey to an in depth after the bustle of those vibrant southern cities, which may all be a visit vacation spot on their very own.
5. Tampa to Miami, FL
From one coast to a different, driving from Tampa to Miami is a delight. Not solely will you get to take in the solar on a few of Florida’s greatest seashores, however you can even get your fill of out of doors journey at Everglades as properly.
- Tampa: Take a drive on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge earlier than parking the automotive to walk alongside the Tampa River Stroll. There, you may take a river taxi for a good higher method to see the sights.
- Sarasota: Head south to Sarasota and uncover that this excellent metropolis has extra to supply than simply its well-known seashores. Myakka State Park is without doubt one of the oldest and largest state parks and an ideal place to get acquainted with wildlife.
- Fort Myers: One other great spot to take pleasure in nature, Fort Myers has loads to supply for individuals who love water equivalent to paddleboarding, kayaking, and snorkeling. Be certain to cease at Six Mile Cypress Slough Protect the place you may be taught extra about native wildlife preservation efforts.
- Naples: This small seaside metropolis is understood for its gorgeous ocean views and lovely parks. The Naples Botanical Backyard and Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary are each fashionable points of interest that seize the realm’s magnificence.
- Marco Island: Smaller and fewer crowded than most seashores in Florida, Marco Island is the proper place to calm down. Head over to Keewaydin Island the place there are not any automobiles, roads or bridges to get an actual style of island life. South Marco seaside is the place you will discover turquoise water and pristine white sand.
- Everglades Nationwide Park: As you drive east in the direction of Miami, you’ll reduce proper via the Everglades. The park itself is stuffed with wildlife and plantlife to marvel at.
- Miami: Miami is a good vacation spot by itself, not to mention a enjoyable place to wrap up an epic street journey like this one. Get a really feel for the enduring avenue artwork at Wynwood Partitions and check out a cuban sandwich in Little Havana earlier than heading out to salsa dance the night time away.
4. St. Louis, MO to Jackson, MS
Technically starting within the midwestern metropolis of St. Louis, this southern street journey is a good one for these of you who love historical past and the outside. There are many nice museums and points of interest alongside this route, so buckle up for an mental journey!
- St. Louis, MO: St. Louis made our listing for Midwestern street journeys and it’s truly an ideal place to begin a visit down south, too. Gear up in your journey by visiting the enduring Gateway Arch and Forest Park, which was the location of the World’s Fairgrounds through the Louisiana buy Exposition in 1904. Such a cool historical past!
- Cape Girardeau, MO: Transferring south, cease right here to see the Missouri Corridor of Fame and the Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Middle.
- Sikeston, MO: This city doesn’t have a lot happening, however you’re in for a deal with in the event you can cease in to Lambert’s Cafe, Residence of the Throwed Rolls. Sure, “throwed rolls” is literal right here. It’s typical southern meals served in troughs and thrown via the air from skilled roll throwing waiters. It’s an entire sensory expertise and value a cease.
- Memphis, TN: A visit to this musical metropolis wouldn’t be full with no cease at Solar Studio historic web site and Graceland museum. One other high spot in Memphis is the Nationwide Civil Rights Museum, which supplies guests a complete image of the Civil Rights motion within the USA.
- Jackson, MS: Right here you will discover the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum to proceed your instructional journey via the south. This historic metropolis is dwelling to many different superb museums and has a powerful assortment of distilleries that may be loved as properly.
3. Austin to Corpus Christi, TX
There’s far more to Texas than cowboy hats and big truck stops, I promise. This journey will take you to a few of Texas’s most hip and various cities and even a pair gorgeous outdoorsy places.
- Austin: This metropolis is understood for its considerable inexperienced areas and proximity to many out of doors locations. It’s an ideal place to kick off a street journey! Try the Wildflower Middle on the Girl Chook Hike-and-Bike Path or spend the day meandering round Mount Bonnell earlier than you begin your journey east.
- San Marcos: It is a fast cease, as the principle attraction is the attractive San Marcos River. Relying in your stage of adrenaline looking for, you may benefit from the river by floating down it on a tube, kayak, or white water raft via its rougher areas.
- San Antonio: A metropolis identified for its eclectic mixture of southern and Mexican tradition, San Antonio is a good place to catch a stay music present, discover artwork galleries, and chow down on some superior meals. The Pure Bridge Caverns are a must-see when you’re right here and don’t overlook to take a stroll on the well-known San Antonio River Stroll.
- Three Rivers: One other fast cease on this journey, Three Rivers is dwelling to Choke Canyon State Park. The park is a good place to get out for a swim, take a hike, and even camp!
- Corpus Christi: Positioned subsequent to the San Padre Nationwide Seashore, Corpus Christi is the best place to have a soothing finish to your journey. If you happen to’re round in the summertime, you may be capable to see the hatching and launch of child sea turtles!
2. Oklahoma Metropolis, OK to Scorching Springs, AK
This journey encompasses many issues that make the South distinctive from the remainder of the USA. It actually covers all of the southern bases; Native American Historical past, Civil Rights Historical past, scenic drives, and out of doors recreation.
- Oklahoma Metropolis, OK: Get into the spirit of the south on the Nationwide Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum or the American Banjo Museum. You too can try some native crops on the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Will Rogers Park.
- Tulsa, OK: This metropolis is a good place to get acquainted with Native American historical past and tradition. Don’t miss the Gilcrease Museum and The Cave Home for an thrilling journey via time. Try the Gathering Place when you’re there and have a blast on the adult-sized playground.
- Ozark, AR: Make your method to the Pig Path Nationwide Scenic Byway to soak up the fantastic thing about the forest. From there, you may make a cease at Byrd’s Journey Middle for a fast canoe or kayak trip on the Mulberry River.
- Little Rock, AR: Earlier than heading into town, cease at Pinnacle Mountain State Park for a hike. From there, make your approach into the center of Little Rock and take a look at the Little Rock Central Excessive Faculty Nationwide Historic Website, which chronicles the historical past of desegregation within the USA.
- Scorching Springs, AR: This quaint metropolis has made a pair lists right here on BMTM and for good motive. It’s come to Scorching Springs Nationwide Park, which is the smallest nationwide park within the USA and has some good quick hikes and calming sizzling springs.
- Ouachita Nationwide Forest: Proper outdoors of Scorching Springs, you’ll discover the Ouachita Nationwide Forest. There, you may camp, mountain bike, hike, and a lot extra.
1. Charlotte, NC to Nashville, TN
Sure, there are two journeys on this listing that start in Charlotte. That’s as a result of there actually is a lot to do there! This time heading north in the direction of Tennessee, this street journey will take you to among the South’s most stunning scenic drives that you simply gained’t wish to miss.
- Charlotte, NC: One other nice cease in Charlotte is the Levine Museum of the New South, the place you may get a post-Civil Battle historical past lesson. If NASCAR is your factor, Charlotte can be dwelling to the NASCAR Corridor of Fame.
- Asheville, NC: This southern metropolis has change into a magnet for younger folks in search of a hip place to name dwelling. It’s identified for its close by pure wonders and neat structure, together with its iconic people music scene. Go for Mountaintop Tour at Navitat Cover Adventures and go to the Biltmore Property earlier than you permit.
- Nantahala Nationwide Forest: The biggest forest in North Carolina, this one may maintain you occupied for days on finish. Right here you may go whitewater rafting, mountain biking, or horseback driving earlier than pitching a tent to camp for the night time.
- Knoxville, TN: Knoxville is a charmer, I’m warning you. It’s identified for its neat mix of recent and previous with locations just like the historic Tennessee Theatre located carefully to the ultra-modern Knoxville Museum of Artwork. Go for a stroll in Market Sq. or for a hike at Ijams Nature Middle.
- Crab Orchard, TN: This city is value a cease as it’s dwelling to the Catoosa Wildlife Administration Space. Recognized for its scenic hikes and birdwatching, it makes an ideal place to get out and stretch your legs earlier than heading to Nashville.
- Nashville, TN: Similar to it’s an ideal place to begin a street journey, Nashville can be a stellar place to finish one. Keep so long as you’d like and discover the music and meals scene of this iconic metropolis earlier than heading dwelling.
Every of those journeys have one thing totally different to supply, making it an ideal place to begin planning your subsequent large street journey journey. The South is brimming with historical past that’s greatest discovered via expertise; strolling via museums, visiting historic websites, and taking within the place the place every part occurred.