If you want to experience living in a country for a long time without spending too much money or undergo finding a sponsor, getting enrolled in a school or processing many documents, get a working holiday visa!

What is a working holiday visa?

It is a residence permit that allows tourists to take up (and sometimes study) jobs in the nation that issued the visa to supplement their travel finances.

Some visas are offered due to reciprocal agreements between countries encouraging travel and cultural exchange. However, there are some restrictions on this visa:

  • Age Restrictions: Usually from 18 – 30 or 35 years old
  • Types of Employment – from Crews, Farmhands, Officers, Consultants, etc.
  • Length of time – a maximum of 6 months, 1 or 2 years
  • Visa holder must have sufficient funds
  • Health or travel insurance needed

Here are the countries that have a Working Holiday Visa Program:

Working Holiday Visas in North & Latin Americas

Everything You Need to Know About VPNs as an American outside the USA

Pacific Alliance Visa

The Countries that are members of the Pacific Alliance are Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru. Citizens of these countries can apply to the Pacific Alliance work and holiday visa in another member country for one year.


Citizens of Australia, Austria, Canada (up to 35), the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary (up to 35), Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, and Sweden, aged 18–30, 1-year Chilean working holiday visa


Citizens of France, aged 18 to 30, one-year Colombian working holiday visa


Citizens of Canada, France, Germany, South Korea, New Zealand, aged 18-30, 1 or 2 years Mexican working holiday visa


Citizens of Australia, France, New Zealand, and Portugal, aged 18–30, 1-year Peruvian working holiday visa


Citizens of Australia, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand (up to 35), Norway, Portugal, South Korea, and Sweden, aged 18-30, 12 months working holiday visa


Citizens of France and New Zealand, 18–30, 1-year Brazilian WH visa.


Please refer to Ultimate Guide to Canadian WH Visa

Costa Rica

Citizens of Canada, aged 18 to 35, 12 months WH visa


Citizens of Australia, aged 18 to 30, 1-year WH visa

United States of America

Citizens of New Zealand and Australia, aged 18-30, 12 months, Work and Travel – J1 visa
Must be a current full time / tertiary level student (minimum level 5) or recent graduate from full time /campus-based tertiary level study (minimum level 5)


Citizens of Australia, France, Germany, New Zealand, and Sweden, aged 18 – 30, 12 months WH visa

Working Holiday Visas in Africa

Kenya Safari

South Africa

South African University level students and recent graduates can apply for a 6-month internship in Britain through BUNAC Blue Card Internship Program

Canadian students may work in South Africa for 12 months through Swap

Working Holiday Visas in Asia

Hong Kong

Citizens of Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Korea, Sweden, and the United Kingdom, aged 18 – 30, 12 months working holiday visa

Hong Kong residents18 to 30 ages who are British National (Overseas) can apply for the UK Youth Mobility Scheme


Indonesian citizens, aged 18-30, work and holiday visa (subclass 462) in Australia


Citizens of Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, New Zealand, and South Korea, aged 18-30, 1-year working holiday visa


Citizens from Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, South Korea, New Zealand, Norway, Slovakia, Poland, Portugal, Taiwan and the United Kingdom, aged of 18-30, 1-year or 6-month visa

Please refer to Ultimate Guide to Japan Working Holiday Visa for more information


Citizens of Australia and New Zealand, aged 18-30, 1-year WH visa holiday visa


Citizens of New Zealand, aged 18-30, 1-year WH visa


Citizens of France, aged 18-30, 4 months WH visa


Undergraduate or graduate of a university that is recognized by the government in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, United Kingdom or the United States, aged 18-25, 6 month Work Holiday Pass

South Korea

  • Citizens of Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden and Taiwan, 24-months WH visa
  • Citizens of Australia, Canada, the Netherlands, the UK, 2 years
  • Citizens of the USA, 5 years
  • Citizens of Australia, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, no quota

Note: Citizens of Argentina, Azerbaijan, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Morocco, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sudan, Tunisia, Turkey, the UAE and Vietnam are participating for the SWAP program through IYE (International Youth Exchange) system.


Citizens of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Poland, Slovakia, and the United Kingdom


Citizens of Australia and New Zealand, aged 18-30, have tertiary qualifications (full-time courses with at least 3 years of study), 1-year WH visa


Citizens of Australia and New Zealand, aged 18-30, 12 months WH visa


Citizens of Australia and New Zealand, aged 18-30, 1-year WH visa

Which Countries have a Working Holiday Visa Program

Czech Republic


San Marino
United Kingdom

Working Holiday Visas in Oceania

Our Nullarbor Roadtrip Itinerary: Best Way to See South and West Australia


We have a very detailed article and you can read it here.

New Zealand

It is indeed an honor to be a citizen of these countries. However, I wish this has been popular back in my day as I would love to travel and work in New Zealand (as they are the only ones who accept Philippine citizens). Maybe it was because I was meant for another path!

If you are itching to see the world, you are at the right age, or you want to have that gap year, definitely apply for a Working Holiday Visa. You will not only gain working experience or additional knowledge due to studies but also cultural experience and perhaps a new language.

Being in another place for a long time, you will also gain new friends or meet the love of your life! It’s a great opportunity to take, however, think things through if it’s really what you want. I wish you the best and happy travels!

Source link