Thailand and Laos are Southeast Asian neighbors which can be separated by the Mekong River. To this point, there are 9 land borders through which many nationals can get a Visa on Arrival. There are additionally each day flights from each of those international locations. Nevertheless, on this article, we’ll inform you easy methods to journey by land from Thailand to Laos as it is not uncommon for backpackers.
There are a lot of cities in Thailand, however we’ll focus on well-liked cities or spots like Bangkok and Chiang Mai. There are a lot of choices when you like your experience to be sooner or cheaper. I hope this can be useful in your future journey to each of those international locations.
The Land Borders
Listed below are the land borders on which you’ll cross from Thailand to Laos. You may as well get a Visa on Arrival on the next borders:
- Friendship Bridge I – Vientiane
- Friendship Bridge II – Savannakhet
- Friendship Bridge III – Khammouane
- Friendship Bridge IV – Bokeo
- Nam Ngeun – Xayabouly
- Namheuang – Xayabouly
- Samliemkham – Bokeo
- Tanalaeng – Vientiane
- Vang Tao – Champasak
Bangkok to Vientiane
Let’s study right here how one can journey from Thailand’s capital to Laos’ capital.
Direct Bus from Bangkok to Vientiane
- If you’d like fewer stops and hassles, you possibly can experience on a bus from Bangkok to Vientiane
- Prices are from THB 1,000 – 1,200 often departing from the afternoon or night and arriving within the morning in Laos
By Prepare as much as Nong Khai
- From Bangkok Railway Station or Hua Lamphong, take a sleeper prepare to Nong Khai, the final metropolis in Thailand, earlier than you cross the border to Laos.
- Costs are from THB 250 – 500 Baht in the course of the day journey, and THB 700 – 1,250 for sleeper trains
- Go to Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Chatuchak District in Bangkok
By Bus as much as Nong Khai
- There are buses by the day; nevertheless, it’s possible you’ll desire the evening buses of Budsarakan Tour and Sawadee Esan
- Journey time as much as Nong Khai is about 9 – 11 hours lengthy
- Bus costs vary from THB 400 – 700 relying on the category of bus (bizarre to luxurious)
Nong Khai to Thanaleng to Vientiane
- Purchase a ticket in Nong Khai station for a Prepare to Thanaleng and a Minivan (THB 300), earliest departure of shuttle prepare is 7:30 AM
- Nevertheless, you will get to Thanaleng Station and cross by Thai-Lao Friendship bridge for THB 20 – 30, there are minivans to Vientiane that prices THB 150
- There are additionally direct buses from Nong Khai station to Vientiane for THB 60
- Journey time is about 1 – 2 hours as it is advisable to cease for Immigration stamps
Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang
One other nice route from Bangkok to Laos is from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. Take a look at how one can journey from these beloved spots by land. You’ll most definitely use the Samliemkham – Bokeo or the Bokeo Friendship Bridge borders that points Visa on Arrival.
Direct Buses from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang
- From Chiang Mai Bus Terminal, you possibly can experience a bus to Naluang Bus Station in Luang Prabang
- Journey time is nineteen – 22 hours, from 9:00 AM, it’s possible you’ll arrive at 4/5 within the morning of the subsequent day
- Sleeper trains are additionally accessible
- Prices are from THB 1,000 – 1,500
To Chiang Khong
- Go to the bus station and experience a minibus, inexperienced bus, or public bus to Chiang Khong
- Journey time could also be 4-5 hours
- Costs are from THB 150 – 250
- If you wish to sightsee, you possibly can spend a while and experience to Chiang Rai to see the White and Black Temple, from there take a crimson bus to Chiang Khong (THB 65)
To Huay Xai
- Journey a tuk-tuk from Chiang Khong the border crossing; this prices THB 100 – 150
- From the Thai Immigration, purchase a bus ticket to cross the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge, costs are THB 20 – 30
- Get your Laos visa
- From there go to the town middle to catch a bus or boat to Luang Prabang, this may occasionally price THB 50 – 200
To Luang Prabang
- Journey a bus from Huay Xai bus terminal to Luang Prabang
- There are native buses, VIP, minibusses, and in a single day buses
- Journey time is between 12 – 16 hours, relying on stops and visitors
- You could possibly pay THB 400 – 700
- If you’d like one other route, you could possibly take a River Cruise from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang; it’ll often take 2 days for this scenic route costing THB 800 – 1000
- For these lengthy hour rides, it’s higher to decide on a extra snug choice like buses with consolation rooms and spacious legroom
- Touring in the course of the evening can prevent quite a lot of time, take a look at the sleeper trains
- Convey snacks and purchase sufficient water throughout your journey, you might have restricted time throughout your journey, otherwise you would possibly get hungry
- You possibly can e book prematurely through 12Go.Asia
- Convey money, and also you would possibly must change your cash earlier than crossing borders or on the immigration space
- Put on snug garments throughout journey; some say air-condition is excessive on the buses or trains in Thailand/Laos, however the climate exterior is kind of sizzling
- Plan your route and double-check the timetables, you would possibly spend an in a single day when you missed a visit
- Earlier than crossing, verify when you want a visa or not, Filipinos are often visa-free for Thailand and Laos
Transportation Tip: When you’re searching for the most cost effective strategy to e book the Trains, Buses, Ferries, Transfers on this route, we use 12Go.Asia to match the costs!
After studying this, I hope you’ll know easy methods to journey by land from Thailand to Laos. It’s fairly thrilling crossing borders. When you don’t have a lot time and in a finances, sleeper trains are a sensible choice. It’ll prevent prices on spending an evening at a resort and get you from one level to the opposite. Good luck together with your travels, and hold secure!
Are you on Pinterest? Pin these!
In regards to the Author
Hey, I’m Lyza! I as soon as was an individual who simply imagined going to locations “in the future” however determined to pursue my desires. My first journey overseas was in Japan, solo, final 2018, and fell in love with the journey since. I’m aiming to go to 10 international locations earlier than turning 30 and a couple of new locations within the Philippines yearly. Moreover touring, I really like organizing journeys, pictures, studying, and making new pals. Comply with my adventures by my Instagram.