Pondering of heading out in your subsequent highway journey journey, however unsure the place to go? We’ve obtained you lined. Whether or not you reside on the East Coast or are in search of a visit out of a much bigger metropolis, this checklist is certain to encourage an epic journey, regardless of which one you select:
11. Outer Banks, North Carolina
You could have heard of Outer Banks from the hit Netflix television present by the identical title and if that’s the case, it’s in all probability been in your thoughts to journey there! Following the Outer Banks Scenic Byway from north to south takes you thru a sequence of islands on the coast of North Carolina with loads of wildlife and seashores alongside the best way.
- Corolla: This small city is understood for its wild horses. Hire a motorbike and spend the day driving round and exploring.
- Currituck Nationwide Wildlife Refuge: A comparatively undeveloped space, the refuge is a superb place to get off the crushed path and discover.
- Kitty Hawk Pier: Filled with historic landmarks and seashore actions, this can be a traditional North Carolina journey.
- Wright Brothers Nationwide Memorial: This fast cease is the positioning of the primary managed, powered flight which took off in 1903. Right here you possibly can even discover a full-sized reproduction of the Wright brother’s 1903 Powered Flyer.
- Bodie Island Lighthouse: An area must-see, this landmark has been round since 1847 and has an fascinating historical past connected to it.
- Hatteras Village: That is the place you could find Outer Banks’ most pristine seashores and cute small city vibe–an important place to wrap up your journey.
10. Portland to Bar Harbor, Maine
The scenic drive from Portland to Bar Harbor is sort of a fantasy – quaint fishing cities, lobster, rocky coastal cliffs, and naturally, lighthouses. This route takes you proper by means of Acadia Nationwide Park, too!
- Portland: There’s lots to do in Portland to kick off this epic journey. Take a lobster boat tour, go to an area brewery, or spend a while on the rocky seashore taking within the sights.
- Boothbay Harbor: That is the place you could find a uncommon sandy stretch of seashore. Kayak to discover Muscongus Bay or catch a cruise to see whales or puffins close by.
- Rockland: Recognized for its artsy vibe, this small city is residence to the Heart for Maine Up to date Artwork. Need to get out on the water? Hop on a Maine Windjammer for a fast sail.
- Bar Harbor: A good way to wrap up the journey, Bar Harbor lies proper outdoors Acadia Nationwide Park, which is filled with websites to see. Climb to the highest of Cadillac Mountain and reap the benefits of the whole lot the park has to supply.
From Bar Harbor, you possibly can take the freeway again to Portland which is only a 3-hour drive.
9. Boston, MA to Burlington, VT
That is your traditional New England highway journey if there ever was one. With loads of mountain views to take pleasure in and quaint small cities to discover, the drive between Boston and Burlington may be as lengthy or as quick as you need it to be.
- Boston: Boston is filled with historical past and iconic structure. Whether or not you need to try the numerous museums across the metropolis or discover the landmarks alongside the Freedom Path, there may be lots to do right here.
- Lincoln, NH: Nestled in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, Lincoln has out of doors actions galore: mountain climbing by means of Flume Gorge, zipline by means of the timber at Loon Mountain, and a lot extra.
- Stowe, VT: Now onto Vermont’s Inexperienced Mountains, proceed your out of doors journey with mountain climbing, biking, and mountaineering. After a full day of out of doors enjoyable, head to close by Waterbury for a manufacturing facility tour at Ben & Jerry’s!
- Burlington, VT: As Vermont’s largest metropolis, there may be lots to do and see in Burlington. Downtown you’ll discover loads of museums, a thriving artwork scene, and superior New England eating places. Burlington can be an important launching level for the Lake Champlain Scenic Byway, in case you need to prolong your journey.
8. NYC to Provincetown, MA
There are many choices for East Coast journeys beginning in New York Metropolis, however this one is has a particular attraction about it. Summer season is one of the best time to embark on this journey, however understand that visitors is thick on the weekends as you permit the town. Strive kicking off this one in the course of the week for those who can.
- Mystic, CT: Mystic is a few 3-hour drive from NYC, with loads of little stops alongside the best way if you wish to prolong your journey. This little seashore city has a laid again, enchanting vibe. Whereas peak tourism season is summertime, fall is explicit lovely right here.
- Newport, RI: Newport is the yachting capital of the world, but additionally an important place sail. Take a stroll on the Cliff Stroll and take within the gilded age structure and ocean views or go to among the well-known Newport Mansions.
- Windfall, RI: Often known as Rhode Island’s inventive capital, Windfall is a laid again faculty city with lots to do and see. You may take a gondola on the river, bike the paths alongside the East Bay, or go to one of many many museums on the town.
- Falmouth, MA: Only a quick ferry away from Martha’s Winery, this can be a good spot to loosen up and benefit from the seashores of Cape Cod. Hop on the Cape Cod bike path for a scenic journey earlier than heading additional north.
- Provincetown, MA: Provincetown is a very charming a novel city. as America’s oldest artwork colony, it has a wealthy historical past and loads of inventive areas to take pleasure in. Try the close by sand dunes on the Cape Cod Nationwide Seashore or go whale watching on the ocean.
7. Washington, DC to Charlottesville, VA
Slicing proper by means of the scenic Shenandoah Nationwide Park, this journey is filled with historic landmarks, out of doors adventures, and people scenic stretches of highway that make the lengthy drive price it.
- Woodstock, VA: This tiny city with a inhabitants simply over 3,000 is a hub for Revolutionary and Civil Battle historical past. Try the Woodstock Tower atop Massanutten Mountain and discover the newly opened Seven Bends State Park.
- Harrisonburg, VA: One other city on the tip of Shenandoah Nationwide Park, you’ll arrive right here by the use of the Skyline Drive, the one public highway that goes by means of the park. It’s an important place to relaxation and is known for its frozen custard at Klines Dairy Bar.
- Charlottesville, VA: House to each the Thomas Jefferson Monticello property and the house of President James Monroe, Charlottesville is filled with historic websites and quirky colonial gems, just like the Michie Tavern. Catch a sundown at Carter Mountain Orchard, the place you possibly can take pleasure in some dwell music or try the native produce they promote.
- Bonus–Richmond, VA: In case you’re heading again to D.C., take into account taking the good distance residence and stopping in Richmond for one final hurrah. Recognized for its eclectic meals scene, craft beer, and nice museums. The Institute of Up to date Artwork, Virginia Museum of Advantageous Arts, and the Lewis Ginter Botanical Backyard are all price a cease.
6. Philly to Pittsburgh, PA
This journey is a fast one for those who don’t make any stops, however there may be a lot to see between these two iconic cities. In case you’re massive on American historical past, this East Coast highway journey is for you!
- Lancaster: Situated in Pennsylvania Dutch Nation, Lancaster is filled with Amish tradition and traditions which have stood the check of time. Take a buggy journey earlier than stocking up on handmade Amish sweet to final the remainder of your journey.
- Hershey and Harrisburg: Talking of sweet, Hershey is actually an East Coast landmark. Go to the Hershey-specific points of interest akin to Hershey’s Chocolate World or embark in town’s Candy Deal with Path to essentially get essentially the most out of this sugary wonderland. Close by in Harrisburg, you possibly can gear up for the subsequent cease of your journey by brushing up in your historical past on the Nationwide Civil Battle Museum.
- Gettysburg: There may be a lot historical past to find in Gettysburg and so some ways to get immersed in it. Take a tour of the battlefield or check out any one of many city’s actions, together with an apple pie making class!
- Laurel Highlands: Itching to get out into nature? This cease proper outdoors of Pittsburg is filled with out of doors journey alternatives, together with rafting at Pennsylvania’s largest state park Ohiopyle and exploring the caves at Laurel Caverns.
- Pittsburgh: Final however definitely not least, wrap up your journey in Pittsburg with a craft beer, a sports activities recreation, and a go to to any of the numerous museums within the metropolis.
5. Baltimore, MA to Virginia Seashore, VA
This East Coast highway journey is a round one, making its means down the shore to Virginia Seashore and again up once more on the opposite aspect of the Chesapeake Bay earlier than touchdown again in Baltimore.
- Baltimore, MD: In case you’re going to go to Baltimore, be certain to not miss out on its vibrant artwork, theatre, and music scene. The Baltimore Museum of Artwork and an entire assortment of area of interest museums make this metropolis distinctive and undoubtedly price a go to.
- Annapolis, MD: Earlier than you do something in Annapolis, you must strive their well-known crab desserts at one of many native eating places. Afterwards, try the Naval Academy and the close by Historic London City and Gardens to get a glimpse of the realm’s lovely nature.
- St. Michaels, MD: In case you’re trying to spend a while on the water, that is the place to do it. Kayak or paddleboard on the Chesapeake aspect of the bay, or take pleasure in one of many many excursions obtainable. St. Michaels can be residence to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum–a must-stop on this journey!
- Chincoteague, VA: This is without doubt one of the few locations within the USA the place you could find wild ponies, making it an superior place for households. This quaint city can be proper alongside the Assateague Island Nationwide Seashore, which is a quiet place to get out and discover.
- Virginia Seashore, VA: An important East Coast seashore vacation spot, Virginia Seashore lies between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay and is most well-known for its unimaginable meals scene as its location yields a few of America’s finest seafood.
- Williamsburg, VA: Situated close by to lots different historic websites, Williamsburg is the right launching level for a full US historical past tour if that’s your factor. Try Colonial Williamsburg, the Jamestown Settlement, and plenty of different historic websites when you go to.
4. Raleigh, NC to Savannah, GA
From inland Raleigh, alongside the Southeastern coast and at last touchdown in Savannah, this journey is filled with Southern attraction and kitschy stops.
- Raleigh, NC: This Southeastern metropolis might actually be an entire journey by itself with how a lot there may be to do there, nevertheless it’s additionally an important launching level for this epic highway journey. Be certain to reap the benefits of Raleigh’s spectacular meals scene and get out to see some dwell music earlier than embarking in your journey south.
- Myrtle Seashore, SC: An East Coast traditional, Myrtle Seashore is the type of seashore vacation spot the place you possibly can count on to see boardwalks filled with household points of interest, seafood eating places, arcades, and a lot extra. In case you’re in search of a quieter cease right here, take into account heading to the salt marshes or Brookgreen Gardens, which are typically much less crowded.
- Charleston, SC: One other greater metropolis, Charleston is finest recognized for its wealthy historical past, southern attraction, and wonderful barbeque. For a faster journey, take into account hopping on one of many many excursions obtainable, or just take a stroll by means of city to take a look at the spectacular structure of the previous properties and gardens.
- Beaufort, SC: Like Charleston and Savannah, Beaufort is filled with historical past and sweetness. Eager to get out into nature a bit extra? No worries, as Beaufort is correct subsequent to a few of South Carolina’s most lovely marshes and waterways.
- Savannah, GA: Recognized for its southern consolation meals, big oak timber hanging with Spanish moss, and beautiful historic properties, Savannah is the right place to finish your journey. Even higher, it’s often called one of many ‘world’s friendliest cities’! Searching for some inspo? Try BMTM’s Savannah Information!
3. Wilmington, NC to Jacksonville, FL
This checklist isn’t full with out a really coastal highway journey filled with some the East Coast’s finest seashore locations. This route is nice for an extended journey, because the 7 hour drive may be damaged up with as many stops as you need to make. Listed here are just some:
- Wilmington, NC: Wilmington is a flexible place to begin your journey because it boasts every kind of points of interest and out of doors enjoyable. As the primary American metropolis to obtain the designation of “American World Battle II Heritage Metropolis,” there may be loads of historical past right here. You too can discover loads of museums, gardens, and island seashore points of interest on the town.
- Kiawah Island, SC: Whereas this vacation spot is finest recognized for its luxurious seashore resorts, it’s also residence to some unimaginable wildlife. The seashore itself is pristine and excellent for a calming trip.
- Hilton Head Island, SC: That is one other extra laid again seashore city which boasts clear shores and plentiful wildlife. Get on the water and see for those who can spot the dolphins that inhabit the realm, or strive the realm’s well-known lowcountry delicacies.
- Amelia Island, FL: Really a fascinating vacation spot, Amelia Island is a superb place to benefit from the uncrowded seashore and take in the solar. The island is residence to lovely marshes, rivers and greenways to discover and is only a fast drive away from Cumberland the place you possibly can see wild horses.
2. St. Petersburg to Miami, FL
Florida’s panorama is numerous, making it an important place to embark on a highway journey. Take within the change of surroundings as you head south and take into account making a couple of stops alongside the best way.
- St. Petersburg: Recognized for its sunshine and artsy and eclectic vibe, St. Petersburg is residence to loads of museums and parks to take pleasure in. Don’t skip on the Salvador Dali museum, which is actually considered one of a sort. The Fort de Soto park is an area favourite, and naturally, the waterfront is the place to be any time of 12 months.
- Sarasota: Recognized for its comfortable white sandy seashores, Sarasota is the right place to absorb the solar and benefit from the ocean.
- Everglades Nationwide Park: Heading west on freeway 41, take a scenic drive by means of the Everglades, stopping at Shark Valley alongside the best way.
- Miami: Arriving in Miami, don’t miss the long-lasting South Seashore and Little Havana. Dance the evening away to salsa music, or take a extra laid again strategy and take a tour of the well-known avenue artwork at Wynwood Partitions.
1. NYC to Niagara Falls, NY
That is really an epic journey to prime off our checklist of epic East Coast highway journeys. Beginning in NYC and heading by means of upstate New York, watch because the surroundings adjustments drastically earlier than your eyes earlier than arriving at among the best highway journey locations there may be–Niagara Falls.
- Finger Lakes Area: We’ve talked about the Finger Lakes earlier than on BMTM, and for good purpose. This space of upstate New York is filled with outdoor actions and most of all, wine! A few of the finest wine within the USA may be discovered right here, because the local weather is ideal for wine manufacturing.
- Watkins Glen: This gem of a city may be discovered on the southernmost level of Seneca Lake and is finest recognized for Watkins Glen State Park the place a phenomenal waterfall awaits.
- Hammondsport: House to the distinctive attraction Corning Museum of Glass, this small city is filled with quirks. Not simply that, it’s additionally proper on Keuka Lake and subsequently has loads of out of doors actions to take pleasure in.
- Niagara Falls: There actually is a lot to do at Niagara Falls, past simply seeing the falls themselves. Don’t miss the Commentary Tower, Maid of the Mist, or Cave of the Winds when you’re there.
- Cooperstown: In case you’re heading again to the large apple, take into account stopping in Cooperstown in your means. One thing distinctive there may be the Ladies’s Rights Nationwide Historic Park which is actually a historic gem. Even cooler, it’s also close to the Nationwide Ladies’s Corridor of Fame in Seneca Falls!
From as far north as Maine and as far south as Miami, there are many superior stops alongside any considered one of these journeys. Whether or not you’re trying to take a deep dive into American historical past, or simply in search of your subsequent seashore trip, the East Coast actually has all of it!