I consider Mexico as a treasure trove of gorgeous locations to discover and though I’ve lived right here for practically two years, I’m reminded on a regular basis that I’ve solely simply scratched the floor. Guests from everywhere in the world flock to locations like Cancún, Tulum and Cabo San Lucas to benefit from the attractive seashores right here, however I can guarantee you that there’s a lot extra to find off the crushed path in Mexico. Come for the breathtaking landscapes and stick round for the scrumptious meals, cultural richness, and heat hospitality:
10. San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
This pueblo mágico, or “magic city” because it’s referred to as in Mexico, has the laid again ambiance you’d count on from a small metropolis, however with a religious undercurrent that’s current nearly in every single place you go. As a hub for permaculture fans, yogis, and religious healers, this a a terrific vacation spot for anybody on the lookout for a transformative journey expertise.
What to do in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- Climb the steps at La Iglesia de Guadalupe or La Iglesia de San Cristobalito to get the very best views of town.
- Discover close by Eco Parks like Arcotete, Montetik, or El Encuentro to get out into nature.
- Go to one of many many native museums such because the Jade Museum, Cacao Museum, or Ambar Museum. Every of those showcases an vital a part of the native tradition.
- Stroll alongside the well-known andadores, or strolling streets. These streets are closed off to site visitors and actually the hub for all the very best eating places on the town and a terrific place to buy.
- Bonus: Take a day journey to San Juan de Chamula to immerse your self within the indigenous traditions and tradition or head over to Chiapa de Corzo to attempt some scrumptious native meals and store for handmade textiles.
The place to remain in San Cristóbal de las Casas:
- La Isla Hostal is a good place for budget-conscious travellers on the lookout for a way of neighborhood.
- Na Bolom is a lodge and museum with a trigger, working at the side of an area nonprofit to assist the encompassing communities.
- Sombra del Agua has a surprising backyard courtyard and is centrally situated.
9. San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
Recognized to be one of the architecturally important cities in Mexico, San Miguel de Allende may have you strolling together with your head craned again to absorb all of the brilliantly coloured buildings. It is a metropolis I might advocate spending as a lot time in as you may–however watch out since you simply may by no means need to go away!
What to do in San Miguel de Allende:
- Take a historic strolling tour to absorb the gorgeous colonial structure and be taught extra in regards to the historical past of this iconic Mexican metropolis.
- Go to the Fábrica La Aurora, which was once an previous material mill. Now it has been transformed into an house for artwork galleries, outlets, and cafes and is among the trendiest locations within the metropolis.
- Discover the Mercado de Artesanías to see textiles, handicrafts, and far more from throughout the nation.
- Take a look at the native produce on the Mercado de San Juan de Dios the place yow will discover regional delights and marvel on the number of vegatables and fruits.
- Get outdoors town to see the World Heritage Website of Santuario de Atotonilco, which is a church advanced that was constructed within the Seventeenth century. It’s often called the “Sistine Chapel of Mexico” due to its breathtaking murals.
- Bonus: Inside Mexico, San Miguel is definitely identified for its vineyards which may be shocking contemplating how well-known the nation is for its mezcal and tequila. Take a look at the winery Dos Buhos and sip on some native wine.
The place to remain in San Miguel de Allende:
8. Santiago de Queretaro
Positioned nearly adjoining to San Miguel de Allende, generally travellers overlook Santiago de Queretaro. Nonetheless, it actually has its personal id as a culturally important metropolis and is even identified to be probably the greatest locations in Mexico for solo feminine vacationers. That’s a win-win in case you ask me!
What to do in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Wander across the UNESCO-listed metropolis heart, which has magnificence round each nook. This a part of town is filled with andadores, or strolling streets, which make it extremely accessible and straightforward to navigate.
- My absolute favourite place to go to in a brand new Mexican metropolis is the market. Discover all of the native delights at Mercado la Cruz and perhaps even seize a chew to eat when you’re there.
- Go to the El Cerrito pyramid which was constructed centuries in the past by the traditional Chichimeca folks.
- Queretaro is understood for having a number of the finest wine in Mexico, so think about taking a wine and cheese tour when you’re there.
- Take your self on an entire tour of the plentiful museums, ensuring to cease on the Museo Regional (INAH) and the Museo de Arte de Querétaro.
- Head to Jardín de Cerveza Hércules for a chilly domestically brewed beer. This hip spot is definitely inside an previous textile manufacturing unit and tends to draw a youthful crowd.
The place to remain in in Santiago de Queretaro:
- Lunar de Casa Zen is a quaint and reasonably priced Airbnb and even has a yoga studio on-site.
- Antigua Altamira flats have all of the coziness and luxury you want for an extended keep.
7. San Luis Potosí
San Luis Potosí has made its approach to many bucket lists primarily for its unbelievable pure wonders close by. From waterfalls to crystal clear lagoons to surreal structure, this charming metropolis has all of it.
What to do in San Luis Potosí:
- Take a fast journey over to the Micos waterfalls. The doorway price is simply 40 pesos (about $2USD) and you’ll truly Skybike over the waterfalls to see them from above.
- One other stellar waterfall, Cascada de Tamul is one you could truly get pleasure from by canoe! Journey alongside the river under the waterfall or take a hike to the highest to see it from a special angle.
- Go to La Huasteca Potosina, which is just a few hours’ drive from town however completely well worth the journey. It’s a lush space stuffed with cenote-like ponds, waterfalls, and even scorching springs. Think about taking a tour there in case you’re not aware of the world because it’s fairly distant.
- In contrast to every other place on the earth, Edward James’ Las Pozas in Xilitla is each unusual and alluring. It’s a terrific day journey from San Luis Potosi and consists of gardens, ponds, and actually distinctive structure.
The place to remain in San Luis Potosí:
- Lodge Museo Palacio de San Agustin is situated in a Seventeenth-century constructing and has all of the attraction you’d count on from an previous colonial lodge. They even provide horse drawn carriage excursions of town!
- Casa Catalina is totally lovable and has an eclectic Mexican flare.
6. Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca
Puerto Escondido is a well-liked vacation spot for surfers from throughout Latin America and has grown significantly in recognition in the previous few years. It’s a hub for hippie counterculture and backpackers due to its laid again ambiance and lengthy stretches of resort-free seashores.
What to do in Puerto Escondido:
- Take an extended stroll alongside Playa Zicatela. Hold a watch out for child turtles and different creatures on the shore.
- Go for a nighttime tour at Laguna de Manialtepec to see the unbelievable bioluminescent waters mild up.
- Take a surf lesson at Playa Carrizalillo the place the waves are excellent for rookies.
- Take an aerial silks, yoga, or dance class at Casa Chango to get your physique transferring and perhaps even be taught a brand new talent.
- Bonus: For those who’re loving the hippie vibe of Puerto Escondido, think about making a visit over to Mazunte, which is one other neat seashore city that backpackers love.
The place to remain in Puerto Escondido:
- Lodge Escondido is a Puerto favourite with its trendy decor and serene vibe.
- Bikini Seaside Home has a cool indoors-meets-outdoors ambiance and superb seashore views.
- Barbarenas has cool earthen beachfront bungalows in case you need to get immersed within the yogi vibe of the world.
5. Mazatlan, Sinaloa
Positioned on the Pacific Coast, Mazatlan boasts a number of the finest sand and surf that Mexico has to supply. This small metropolis has skilled a latest increase in tourism, however has retained most of its small city really feel.
What to do in Mazatlan:
- Proper while you get into city, exit and stroll alongside the Malecon to get a really feel for the city and take within the ocean views.
- Stroll by means of town heart, ensuring to cease at Machado Sq. to absorb the picturesque structure.
- Take a hike to the El Faro lighthouse for some much more spectacular views of the ocean. There’s a path main as much as it that takes simply half-hour or so to climb.
- Catch a wave at Playa Brujas the place you may hire a surfboard and even take a surf lesson in case you fancy it.
- Bonus: From Mazatlan, you may take a ferry over to Isla de la Piedra the place you will get away from the enterprise of city and take a swim. It’s not technically an island, however it might in any other case take an hour to drive there, making the ferry a a lot better wager.
The place to remain in Mazatlan:
- There are a number of massive chain inns in Mazatlan, making Airbnb a more sensible choice in case you’re on the lookout for one thing cozier. Take a look at this one which has a laid again really feel.
- Casa Lulu is a boutique lodge that’s situated proper on the favored Malecon.
4. La Paz, Baja California Sur
Named for its peaceable waters, La Paz is a good place to loosen up and soak up nature. Positioned close to the underside of the California isthmus, this sunny seashore vacation spot is commonly ignored due to its proximity to Cabo San Lucas. Nonetheless, it has a vibe of its personal and is unquestionably value a go to.
What to do in La Paz:
- Take within the ocean views of the Malecon boardwalk. There you’ll discover loads of outlets and eating places to peruse by means of as you stroll.
- Exit to Isla Espiritu Santo, a UNESCO biosphere reserve that’s identified for its sea lions. If you wish to catch a glimpse of those superb animals, be sure to not ebook your journey between June 1 to September 1 throughout child sea lion season.
- Absorb the solar at Playa El Coromuel, which is internationally acknowledged as one of many cleanest and eco-friendly seashores in Mexico.
- See whale sharks of their pure habitat. This tour firm arranges snorkelling excursions, too!
- Go to the Museo de Antropología e Historia de Baja California Sur to be taught extra in regards to the space’s historical past and tradition.
The place to remain in La Paz:
- Hostel Bermejo is a good budget-friendly hostel that has personal rooms and dorms. It’s located only a couple blocks from the seashore and strolling distance to eating places.
- Lodge Catedral has a contemporary flare and stellar views from their rooftop which additionally has a pool.
3. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
Monterrey is a large metropolis and identified all through México as being loads like a mini-Mexico Metropolis. Nonetheless, a visit there’ll show that this vacation spot has is personal distinctive ambiance that units it aside from many different locations within the nation. From the quintessential norteño gastronomy to the colourful artwork scene, you received’t need to miss this one.
What to do in Monterrey:
- Peruse by means of The Palacio del Obispado, an 18th century palace with good colonial structure. It’s house to the Regional Museum as properly, which showcases Monterrey’s historical past and tradition.
- Go to the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Monterrey (MARCO) to take a look at modern artwork from Mexican and Latin American artists. Contained in the MARCO there are 11 galleries, every with their very own model.
- Take a tour of the previous city Barrio Antiguo, the place you may really feel the nostalgia of colonial occasions. This neighborhood can be a scorching spot for some tasty eating places and nightlife.
- For those who’re a rock climber and even only a nature fanatic, head out to Parque la Huasteca for an journey. With over 300 climbing routes and loads of surroundings, it’s probably the greatest locations within the metropolis to get outdoor.
- Discover the Garcia caves only a brief drive from town. These underground marvels are identified for his or her spectacular stalactites and stalagmites.
The place to remain in Monterrey:
2. Mérida, Yucatán
Mérida holds a particular place in my coronary heart as a result of I studied overseas there in faculty and it’s the backdrop for a few of my most cherished recollections in Mexico. Past that, it’s an superior place to go to for a lot of causes, one in all them being that it’s completely gorgeous!
You’ll discover stunning structure round each nook, a energetic metropolis heart that appears to at all times have a cultural occasion taking place, and gastronomy that’s positive to make your style buds very pleased.
What to do in Mérida:
- Get pleasure from all the pieces occurring within the Plaza Grande. On Friday nights, they’ve performers reenacting the standard Mayan juego de pelota or “ball recreation” with a flaming rubber ball. On Sundays you may catch some conventional dances and discover the popup tents throughout Merida en domingo.
- Do a strolling tour. There may be one on daily basis at 10am in Parque Santa Lucia and it’s free, though a tip of at the very least 100 pesos is advisable (that’s about $5 USD).
- Go take a dip in a cenote. There are actually 1000’s of cenotes within the Yucatán peninsula to select from. Just a few of my private favorites are Chaksikin and Cascabel that are only a brief drive away.
- Hop from place to put alongside the Paseo de Montejo, which is an extended avenue dotted with museums, historic websites, and a few of Mérida’s finest eating places.
- Get acquainted with the Mayan tradition on the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya. This superb museum showcases the fascinating historical past of the Maya folks and offers guests perception into the tradition that’s nonetheless current at present.
The place to remain in Mérida:
- Piedra de Agua is a super-chic small lodge that’s ideally situated within the centro historico.
- Ya’ax Lodge Boutique has that luxurious feeling with the fashionable Yucatecan structure and design that could be a excellent mixture of recent and previous.
I first visited Campeche again in 2017 and knew little about it beforehand. To my delight, this small coastal metropolis was so enjoyable to discover and has an enchanting historical past. There nonetheless stands historical Mayan ruins alongside pirate forts and the quintessential Spanish structure, creating an environment that’s distinctive to this vibrant metropolis.
What to do in Campeche:
- Stroll by means of the “previous metropolis” a part of city, which is a UNESCO World Heritage web site. Alongside the oceanfront malecón, there are at all times a wide range of road carts with tasty treats and contemporary coconuts.
- Take a look at the Museo de Arquitectura Maya, the place you may study Mayan structure.
- Go to the forts, which have been constructed to guard town from pirates again within the 18th century. There are two important forts to see, Fuerte San José and Fuerte San Miguel, that are each on the outskirts of town.
- Enterprise out to see the flamingos at Celestún. It’s a pair hours outdoors Campeche, however undoubtedly well worth the day journey. When you get there, you may take a ship by means of the shallow waters and see a whole lot of flamingos. The most effective time to go is in March when their flocks are the most important.
- Bonus: A fast day journey to the Mayan ruins at Edzna is crucial in case you’re going to Campeche. For those who assume Chichen Itza is spectacular, Edzna is simply as attention-grabbing and has a fraction of the group.
The place to remain in Campeche:
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche is lush and charming. Whereas its on the pricier finish, it’s nonetheless accessible and has superb facilities.
- Casa Don Gustavo has a method that’s so uniquely Mexican that it’s going to actually make you’re feeling such as you stepped again into the nineteenth century with its quirky decor.
I’m right here to let you know that Mexico is filled with magical locations which are far much less touristy than the crowded seashore locations that we’re used to listening to about. Attending to a few of these areas won’t be as easy or easy, however are utterly value the additional planning. Not solely will you get to get pleasure from some superb surroundings in these locations, however you can even attempt a number of the most scrumptious meals of your life and genuinely have a good time.